Wednesday, February 24, 2010

February in C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

After the World Cup races in Canmore, I made my way over to Silver Star to get in a mid-winter training camp, and cheered on my teammates and friends at the Olympic venue before heading over to Europe. I will see how many photos I can upload right now since my time on the internet is limited. Women's sprint heat in Canmore.
Silver Star always seems to impress me-- I can always depend on plenty of snow and perfect tracks set each day from the doorstep. I got in a high quality training camp where the focus was on volume and L4 intervals. A huge thanks to Carol King for letting me stay in her tasteful "Arnica Antique House" for the week. Andi Fancy, one of New Zealand's top nordic skiers, doing some tele turns down the mountain after we climbed to the summit. I couldn't have asked for a better training buddy, and tour guide, and friend to spend time with during the week. Justin Libby outside our hostel in Vancouver. Marit Bjorgen, Justina Kowalczyk, and Petra Majdic (R-L) racing to gold, silver, and bronze medals in the womens A-final of the classic sprint. I got to join the "Kikkan Crazy" fan club while at the US Olympics. It was pretty awesome to watch my teammate race to 8th place in the classic sprint. Way to go Kikkan!
Here I am in front of the the Canadian rockies on the Canmore trails. In Canmore I couldn't stop looking at the mountains and think, "I wonder if Swizerland is going to be this incredible". Well, I have made the travel overseas and I must say that from what I have seen, Swizerland is all that it is cracked up to be. More to come!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It was pretty awesome to watch my teammate race to 8th which is the best individual American finish at the Olympics, ever."

Bill Koch got a 2nd in the "individual" 30km race in the Olympics. 2nd is better than 8th.

skatie ronski said...

You are absolutely right, thanks for pointing this out! I thought I thought I had written, "female American finish in xc skiing at the Olympics", but even at that, the result is something I heard at the venue and didn't research. I will be sure to check result based details and make an effort to re-read my writing before posting in the future.

Our ski history is important, so thanks for pointing this out!