Saturday, April 25, 2009

Crust Skiing AK

With nights below freezing and clear days the crust has been immaculate in the early mornings at Placer Valley.
Crust skiing in the mountains is one of my favorite activities of all time. Just about every time I go, I am constantly reminded why I LOVE to ski. For those of you who have never been crust skiing and can't grasp my enthusiasm toward this blissful sport, imagine this: it's like mt. biking at Slick Rock-- except you can create your own sinuous own path, find knolls to descend, random bushes to slalom around, rivers to cross, and there's rarely anyone else out there besides you and your buddies! Erin Phillips, Don Hearing, Pete Kling, Bobby Miller, and Eric Strabel deciding where to cruise next. Skookum glacier is in the background.On the Skookum.
Don Hearing cruising down the crusty slope that was perfect for practicing our turns. After half a dozen descents where we were successively improving each time, Pete made the comment, "I could do this all day". I had to agree. We didn't get to stay all day, since there was a scheduled departure time for the team van, but I have been able to get back out for a few more crust adventures with my friends and family recently. Stay tuned for more photos!

1 comment:

Ski Hire Jindabyne said...

My family and I love the snow and every winter holiday, we make sure we go to Jindabyne to have a grand vacation. It is also the bonding time for me and the kids. We snowboard hire at the foot of the mountain so that we won't be having a hard time carrying skis and snowboards from our apartment to the mountain and back.