Thursday, January 6, 2011

US National Championships: Classic Distance

The classic distance races kicked off here in Rumford, Maine. I can't help but brag about my teammates, since they took 1st and 2nd in both the mens and women's races and had many outstanding performances off the podium too.
Women's podium: Morgan Smyth (APU), Sadie Bjornson (APU), Morgan Arritola (US Ski Team/SVSEF).
It was Sadie's first National Championship (Kris Dobie photo). A little known fact is that Sadsarue was also a World Record holder back in the day...in the 100m skate! Sadie is a young lady loaded with talent and will likely be a big part of the future of US Skiing.
It was also great to see Morgan Smyth (above in a Kris Dobie photo) back on her A-game! Morgan is a former National Champion and former US Ski Team member but in the past has spent more than a fair share of time plagued by sickness and injury. She joined the APU team in the spring and has contributed to making our inter-team dynamic playful and fun and she has been racing wicked fast.

Here's our coach Erik Flora giving a splits and encouraging James Southam (APU) as he skis to a 2nd place overall finish. Lars Flora (APU) won and David Norris of Fairbanks, AK was 3rd! A great day for AK.
10k Classic. photo credit: Ian Harvey of Toko

As far as my personal race today, I executed my race as planned and raced my heart out-- even though my finishing result was a less than desirable. As my wise Dad once told me,

"Everyone who has ever trained hard, expected great results, and got something less knows humility was purchased for the price of a race bib."

Any day with a race bib on is a good day. A good day to test my limits and challenge myself, and a good day to celebrate the success and fitness of my teammates and competitors, if not my own.

Great job to all the racers today. Thanks to everyone out on course cheering for me, taking pictures, giving splits, and to the volunteers and coaches who made it happen.

Here I am, flattered to have Lynne Zimmerman's support. Lynn has been making the trip out to Rumford each race day to cheer me on, volunteer as needed, and take pictures! I met Lynn's daughter, Heather Zimmerman, when we both studied abroad in New Zealand and she instantly became one of my lifelong best friends and an irreplaceable adventure buddy. Since Heather retired from the CXC Elite Ski Racing Team, she has been able to fulfill her desire to devote her energy to service work in an underdeveloped nation. After working non-stop at a "real" job for a year, she saved up enough money to spend a year on a 1-year volunteer service project where she is teaching English to the Tibetans in the foothills of the Himalayas. I agree with her mom when she said, "I couldn't be prouder of her".

Thanks for reading and expect more updates soon. I can't wait to sprint again on Saturday!

Katie

1 comment:

Coach Heather said...

You are fantastic! I love the picture of you and my mom!