Saturday, September 20, 2008

An Old Boot, a Crash, and a Lesson Learned

It's easy to inadvertently neglect checking the safety of rollerskiing equipment. Yesterday I had a shocking reminder of how important it is to make sure my rollerskis AND boots are in perfect condition before heading out the door.

I was rollerskiing down a hill, took a skate-stride near the bottom and then belly-flopped. After the little slip-'n-slide game with the pavement, I lay there for a few moments as a "pile of Katie", as described by Kate Fitz.

It turned out that my boot delaminated from the sole. I had no visible clues that this had begun to occur, but I didn't thoroughly check it before training. In Rossi's defense, these boots are several years old, only used because my other pair was still wet, and any boot will eventually fall apart when you ski and r-ski as much as I do. Many of my teammates who are using other brands have visual signs of their boots beginning to delaminate.

In order to help save my friends from kissing the pavement, I made a r-ski check-list, so you can make sure your gear is in working order before fearlessly heading down that hill.

THE "MUST CHECK" LIST:
1.Wheel bearings are not worn-out or gritty. If the wheels spin faster than when you purchased them and they have a "shhh" sound, they are probably worn and will seize up soon. Ordering two new bearings/wheel is the cheapest way to go.
2.Shaft is in perfect condition. Cracks often begin vertically near the wheels.
3.Fenders are secured tightly. The tap of a loose fender on a wheel will act as a brake at high speeds and can cause a crash--just ask Kikkan.
4.Wheels are not worn down and cracked. Switch the wheels from back to front and in-between rollerskis to help slow the wearing process. Keep them rolling in the same direction, however.
5.Screws are tight, wheels do not move side-to-side.
6.Boots are in good condition, with no signs of splitting between the boot and the sole.
7.Binding is tightly secured to your r-ski shaft and clipped into the boot.
8.An un-cracked helmet is secured to your melon.

THE "GOOD IDEA" LIST:
9.Sharpen r-ski tips. A diamond stone file or dremel can help.
10.Wear brightly colored clothing when on busy roads. If you haven't noticed, the APUNSC ladies are partial to neon pink.
If you have anything to add to the check-list or good wipe-out stories to share, leave a comment!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is Crazy your boot peeled off the sole, you must have been suprised. On the upside now you got an expensive climbing "training" shoe. My roomate just bought some with super thin soles supposidly they improve foot strength? who knows. Speaking of rollerski pitfalls has the grate before the tunnel at west chester ate any more expensive ski poles?

Anonymous said...

also you should check out this website. it updates all the time, right now it has a womans Arc'teryx Fission AR Jacket retails for 450 selling for 180. I dont have any money now but if I did OH MAN.
http://www.steepandcheap.com/

skatie ronski said...

Yeah, it was pretty shocking. I'm finally catching up with you on the tally of "best crashes". I'm just happy I didn't break any bones!

I haven't rskied past the infamous West Chester grate in years, but I'll have to peer into it the next time I'm over there. Maybe the pole Jake broke on his knee out of frustration (after he THOUGHT it snapped in the grate) will still be there?