Saturday, September 6, 2008

Symphony Lakes

When I received my training plan for the week, the "long run in the mountains" was the workout that I was looking forward to most. Our training this summer has been very ski specific, so I have to savor every micro-adventure that I can get. I do enjoy roller-skiing (...weird, I know), but circling around the suburbia of Anchorage doesn't compare to being in wide open places.
Mikey Matteson, Peter Kling, Bobby Miller, and Jeff Ellis on the ridge north of Hanging Valley, contemplating where to go next.

The guys' loop was going to be longer and more challenging than what I was supposed to be doing this morning, so I tried to be a responsible athlete and made a shorter loop. I'm not perfect at following my training plan...while bush-whacking down to the trail I did stop to fill up my zip-lock with blueberries.
If you would have seen the sack of liquid that I pulled out of my drink-belt after a few hours of running, you wouldn't have guessed that I found any solid food at all.

I've enjoyed everything I've seen in this area so far-- next time I'm going to make it a mission to go further down the valley to the Flute Glacier. The map shows some canyons near Triangle Peak. Has anyone checked out those canyons? Is it worth the side-trip out there?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some great pictures. I went on a run today, no trails, just sidewalk, and coda had to stay on her leash the entire time. Enjoy anchorage, I miss it. Keep the pics coming.

skatie ronski said...

Thanks, Nathan. I bet Coda enjoyed the run even if she wasn't able to chase around ground squirrels. Enjoy the sunshine down there and we're looking forward to having you home in a few months!