Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Exhausted

If you train so hard it makes you want to scream or cry, then you know you've trained enough.

This is how I felt today:(Photo credit: Rocky Mountain Magazine)

Mid-way through our afternoon practice I felt like I begging for mercy--for no good reason, other than a high training load is taking it's toll. The near break-down was sparked by a med-ball landing on my leg, which torqued my swollen ankle. This was something trivial which somehow bothered me today, because I'm so exhausted from training so much. I guess I no longer have to wonder whether I have been training hard enough!

I think it's important to keep a high training load this time of year so when January/February rolls around I can be fit and fresh through weeks containing 4 races/week (...hopefully). Thrashing your body around can easily become too much of a good thing, however, so I feel fortunate to have a coach watching over me, to make sure I'm on the right track. It's nice having an objective opinion on when it's good to train harder and when it's best to rest.

4 comments:

Anna Barnwell said...

katie batie, dont get too worn down. everyone has shitty days; i am sure your exhaustion is as much mental as physical. just keep believing in yourself! YOU CAN DO IT!

skatie ronski said...

Thanks, Anna. The good thing is that I think I'm supposed to get worn down...but I'm still looking forward to having more energy again soon!

And I'm REALLY looking forward to having you home for xmas :)

Clint Helander said...

That's awesome Katie. Much respect for the amount of training and motivation you have to be your best.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum right now. No motivation to train. I wrote in my blog last night about motivation. It's hard when you have so much on your plate to throw yourself head on into hard training.

Good luck in all of your upcoming races.

Reading your blog helps to motivate me! Keep it up!

skatie ronski said...

Thanks Clint! Great to hear. And I will have to keep checking out your blog too, so that I can get motivated and get some great ideas for new adventures.

Hope you had a great bday and see you back in AK!