Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Hatcher Pass Sonnet

I was cleaning out my room and came across this sonnet I wrote in high school. I'm not claiming it's quality poetry, but it may be fitting for this time of year for many Anchorage skiers.

Early we meet, while the city's asleep.
We pile our ski gear into the car,
get comfortable, and then pump up the beat.
It's another long drive, under the stars,
that takes us to snow in our search to ski.
When we arrive, we get to re-unite
with friends from rival teams we rarely see.
As we slip on our skis, a ray of light
illuminates the snowy mountain scene.
Secluded from stress we can ski freely,
then return to the car for hot chai-tea.

Today I watch snow fall in the city.
I rejoice because it has come at last,
but know I'll miss skiing at Hatcher Pass!
Holly Brooks, enjoying a moment of bliss up at Hatcher's. Holly is usually hard at work in Anchorage as a full-time coach for the APU junior and master programs. I know she's excited to get her athletes skiing on a regular basis again!

There is at least 3.5" of fresh powder at my house, and it's still coming down hard. Even though Hatcher's is one of my favorite places to ski, training up there 4-5 days/week is time consuming. I may be one of the lucky few who can ski up there mid-week, but like the rest of the Anchorage community, I can't wait to have groomed skiing in town! Katie Ronsse enjoying the fresh snow (a Jeff Ellis photo).

4 comments:

Anna Barnwell said...

nice sonnet katie! :) i hope the snow stays! how exciting! i am posting the postcard today so be on the lookout. xoxo.

skatie ronski said...

Takk Annabanana :) I do too, and I hope you get some snow that will stick around Bergen as well! Thanks for writing me a postcard, I can't wait! Hope all is well and looking forward to having a skype-date with you soon.

Anonymous said...

hey meine beste Freundin-
nice picture...hope there will be snow snow snow and sun sun sun when we come- Mikey promised tis to me ;-)
I go home to Germany tomorrow and then .... see you in Alaska !!!
Bussi Bussi Bussi
Schoene Weihnachten !!!

skatie ronski said...

Hallo Miss Wunderle!

I can't make a promise anything with the sun, sun, sun...but we will have fun, fun, fun :)

Haben sie eine wunderbar Weihnachten auf Deutschland. I can't wait to see you in Alaska in the Neues Jahr!

Bussi Bussi meine beste Freundin!
Katie