Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My First Diagnosis

My Dad recently had a painful tooth infection and became pretty run down. I overheard him mention to my Mom that he had a rash on his leg. I questioned if he was on an antibiotic for the tooth infection. Dad said he was on Amoxicillin... "Uh-Oh". After a family ski when I was thirsty and out of water, my Dad offered me his but I turned it down and said "thanks, but no thanks-- there's a good chance you have Mono".

This past summer and fall I had the opportunity to do some job shadowing with Christi Froiland, a local PA who is highly skilled and respected. One of her patients came into the clinic with a rash, and he recently on Amoxicillin for his strep throat. Christi explained that penicillin derivatives can trigger a rash if a patient is infected with the Epstien-Barr Virus (which causes Mononucleosis). We did a quick blood test and I even got to feel the patient's enlarged spleen... yup, the guy had Mono.

Dad agreed to get a Mono test, so the rest of our family would know whether to take extra health precautions. It was POSITIVE, so yup, Dad has mono. My time with Christi was incredibly inspiring and informative, but I never expected that I what I learned would prepared me to diagnose my Dad! We have been extra careful at the Ronsse house since Heather and I depend on good health in order to race fast. Yesterday, Dad was only allowed to blow out the birthday candles placed on his slice of cake and he has been relieved of all cooking and dish duties-- I'm pretty sure he doesn't mind.
Zimm and I have been training hard and want to keep healthy so we can race well at the upcoming US Nationals.

One of the many great quotes from Elizabeth Gilbert's book, "Eat, Pray, Love", is that "Dedication is diligence without assurance". Dedicated athletes invest an outrageous amount of time in preparation for competition, and since good physical health is something you can't take for granted, it's important to be cautious and not let the extensive training go to waste. That being said, I'm a believer that life is meant to be lived to its fullest...and a fear sickness should not consume a person. I have been searching for this balance over Christmas break and have thoroughly enjoyed my time spent with family and friends.
Anna Barnwell, Katie Ronsse, Justin Calvin, Paige Brady, and Mandy Vincent-Lang out for a "j.A.W.S. girls" reunion.Justin Libby enjoying a day at the beach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, Katie. Your posts are great (duh). good writing, fun to read, interesting topics. I'm not usually interested in stuff like mono and feeling enlarged spleens, but you write well enough to make it interesting. Keep it up!

skatie ronski said...

Thanks Patricio. That's quite a compliment coming from one of my favorite bloggers.

Hope you had a guys had a great new years party...I was trying to be a responsible racer and just took it easy, but I'm sure it was a blast.

See you out on the trails again soon!