Friday, March 27, 2009

US National Championships in Fairbanks, AK

Brent Knight, James Southam, and Becca Rorabaugh each metaled in the 5k classic race. Results can be found here.
Kikkan Randall (APU) tags Katie Ronsse (APU), while Maria Stuber (CXC) tags off to Caitlin Compton (CXC) in the 6x1.5k Sprint Relay event at the 2009 US National Championships. (Photo credit: Sam Harrel of the Fairbanks Daily News Miner). The team sprint was one of the hardest races I've ever done. The distance skiers and sprinters were mixing it up together since the race didnt entirely cater to either type of athlete. It was basically doing 3x4' intervals as hard as possible-- with some extra motivation knowing I wasn't just racing for myself, but also for my teammate, club, and spectators who have watched me develop as a skier. I lost some ground to the US ski Team's team, CXC, and Saab/Salomon, but have to be satisfied with giving my absolute best effort. Kikkan skied strong despite having arrived earlier in the day from traveling for 3 months on the World Cup circuit, and we still ended up with a bronze medal.
Home-town hero, Becca Rorabaugh, with an up and coming local skier. Many of the elite female skiers got a chance to ski and play games with the female youth of Fairbanks. Becca's family took care of me for the week and there was a lot of laughing to be had at the "Rorabaugh Ranch". Also, I got a fantastic massage from Norma Haubenstock, which helped me recover in between racing. Check out her clinic if you're in Fairbanks!

No comments: