Thursday, January 15, 2009

One Way Ticket to the WORLD CUP!

The nordic and nordic combined World Cups are this weekend in Whister-- and I'm going to be there!
Skatie Ronski soaking up the Whistler scene.

This is my first time at a World Cup and I am ecstatic. I am still constantly amazed that I am skiing beside skiers who I have idolized for years and who I've only seen in pictures, on Universal sports, or TV before. I keep thinking, "Oh, so that's what _____ looks like in real-life". It's also a constant battle for me to go slow enough when prescribed training is to go easy. Laura kindly showed me the old trail system that has more mellow terrain. Keeping my heart rate down is also aided by the fact that there are plenty of photo opportunities.Laura Valaas is no stranger to the World Cup scene and is ready to strut her stuff.

Originally it didn't look like I was going to be able to race because I haven't had a sub-120 FIS point score in the past year. FIS (skiing's international governing body) recognized that several North American ladies have this issue so they made some exceptions to the rule for the athletes who were close. I booked a ticket to Whistler before I hearing the official "OK", realizing that the worst case scenario would be skiing in Whistler with the team on the Olympic trails and watching World Cups for the first time.
The "Black Tusk" in picturesque Whistler.

The races will be held on the 2010 Olympic courses. The trails are challenging and very well designed for racing-- with exciting sweeping downhills that lead into sharp ski-able turns. I will be racing in the classic sprint on Friday and cheering for my teammates in the pursuit race on Saturday. The teams for Sunday's team sprint will be determined on Saturday evening and the US World Championship team will be named on Sunday night.
The pink-orange sky we skied under during our intervals on Tuesday afternoon.

After this, I am not certain if I will be heading straight to the Midwest Supertours, Rossland, BC, or whether I will go home for a training block. I know I am enjoying every minute of being here so far!

No comments: