Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Wow...Those World Cuppers Are FAST


My weekend at the Whistler World Cups ski races has left me in awe of the fitness of the world's top skiers. If I compare myself to the podium finishers, I am lead to the conclusion that I got my butt kicked. I've made improvements to my racing, but I still have a long way to go up...

It was inspiring to see how it is possible to ski much faster through enough hard work, patience...and more hard work.
#2- Justyna Kowalczyk: Number of previous World Cup starts? 100
#1- Alena Prochazkova: U23 Sprint Champion... when Valaas was 2nd
#3- Anna (Dahlberg) Olsson: First World Cup start? 1997
Ola Vigen Hattestad (2nd), Emil Joensson (1st), Josef Wenzl (3rd) Norway's Hattestad was undefeated in WC sprints this season until Joensson took the cake on this one.

Becoming a World Class skier does not happen over night. The Olympics are just over a year away. Evelyn Dong and I are up for the challenge. Let the climb to the top begin TODAY...

5 comments:

Anna Barnwell said...

katie ronssssssssseeeeeeee where are you? are you back? i miss you but i love your blog and am SO JEALOUS you were at the world cup. i mean, i guess i just should have taken my skiing more seriously! :) you rock my socks off lady. i am calling you ASAP. i have just been cuddling with my dog and twiddling my thumbs...but i know you are WAY MORE active than that! :) miss and love to you hope to talk soon.

skatie ronski said...

Anna B! I know, I've been pretty elusive lately...I am in Rossland, BC right now and will be on the road until mid Feb. You should be expecting an email update soon and a call next week when I am back in the states and can use my phone. Have fun back in AK and talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

Katie Baby- I hope you had sooooooo much fun at the WC race and even if you saw they are fast,...they are still just human and you have one year to go ;-)
Nice pictures of Whistler, I will go there at the end of March to Alpine Ski ,....jupppppiiiiiiii
Have a super good rest of the saison !!!!
Bussi aus Denver

Anonymous said...

Hey, Katie-Lou, I'm glad you got the chance to go to Whistler, we're very proud of you back at home. Stay happy and healthy,
and good luck.

skatie ronski said...

Thanks :) I really appreciate the encouragement!