Friday, January 23, 2009

Vagabond

When the Whistler World Cups concluded, my teammates and I picked our own paths that would suit our individual training and racing needs. Each one of our paths will overlap but no one's will be exactly the same.

In the past 2 weeks I have had the opportunity to stay in Whistler, Seattle, Wenatchee (WA), Rossland (BC), Silver Star (BC), Minneapolis, and Seeley (WI), so I'm starting to feel like a vagabond. Here are snap shots of my recent adventures...
Exploring the additional trails at the Callahan Valley. An Alaskan girl soaking up the Vitamin D after the climb up to Callahan Lake. My pole basket came un-glued, so I got some extra practice with V1-ing to my right side. As a lefty, I'm glad I had that extra practice because in the past Supertour, parts of the hill were slanted, so it was more efficient to V1 to the right side.
Indubitably the best ski of the year so far.
An Aussie, a Kiwi, Alaskans, a Washington-ite, and z-German out for Sushi.
Here's the Greyhound bus I was on after we rammed into the back of a semi truck. No one was seriously injured but a handful of riders went away in an Ambulance. I consider myself lucky not to have any broken bones or lasting injuries. In the hours we spent somewhere between Steven's Pass and Leavenworth I got to know many of the characters on the bus. It was the first day out of jail for several of my fellow passengers, including the man in front of me who had been in and out of jail for 20 years, but was "really going to try to stay out this time!"
Here's Laura Valaas when we got to canoe part of the Columbia and Wenatchee Rivers and then ski in THE SAME MORNING! The Valaas family generously adopted me as one of their own for a few days. They even let us borrow their car to drive into Canada for the NorAm races.

It's time to ski right now but I do have more photos to share, so this post will just have to be continued soon...

No comments: