Sunday, February 1, 2009

From Rossland, BC to the Midwest, US

Perfect skiing in Rossland, BC-- a town built in the crater of an extinct volcano of the Monashee Range. I'm told that Rossland has the highest per capita of doctors in Canada because the skiing, mt biking trails, and active community is so hard to beat.

Jeff Ellis, Laura Valaas, and I made our way over to Rossland for some NorAm races for Canada's final World Championship qualifier-- where the field was small but stacked with many of the nation's fastest skiers. (#1)Phil Widmer, (#2) APUNSC teammate Jeff Ellis, and (#3) hometown hero George Grey on the men's sprint podium. Laura also made the podium in both the skate sprint AND the classic distance race. Good luck to Laura at World Championships!

I was not sure how traveling and racing on my own would logistically work out, but so far I have been absolutely blown away by the support of other skiers. A HUGE THANKS to John Jaques and Dan Madlung of the Rocky Mountain Racers for the waxing support, Chris and Taneel for letting us stay in their home even though they were away for the weekend, Jonas for the use of a wax bench, Skeets for the ride to Vernon, and Andi for the hospitality in Silverstar! One of my favorite parts of being a nordic skier is all the incredible and friendly people you come across...I'm feeling lucky to be apart of North America's incredible skiing community.

The generosity of other skiers and coaches didn't end when I left Canada. I am currently in the Midwest racing on the Supertour circuit where I would not have had such a successful week of racing without the support of the people here. A Supertour update coming soon! An urban run from Jojo's apartment in Minneapolis-- the trail system and artwork that I saw in the city was quite impressive.

No comments: