Monday, February 23, 2009

Hayward Primary School Visit

I got the chance to be in Hayward, WI leading up to the American Birkebeiner and witness the anticipation and excitement around the race-- also termed the "Birkie Fever". Even though this is the largest ski race in the country, there are still many young children who haven't been exposed to cross country skiing. Brian Gregg of CXC organized an school visit to Hayward Primary school that was aimed at educating and inspiring the local youth about our sport. Kristina Owen, Heather Zimmerman and I had the opportunity to be included in the excitement. Ronsse getting to play ski "show and tell".
Kristina telling the history of how the American Birkebeiner race began while Brian and I "skiing" around the room with young "Prince Haakon" in tow.
Heather and Kristina racing around the room with a few volunteers while Brian and I joined the rest of the students in the traditional "Heiya" ski chant.

I was impressed with each of the 19 different classes that we saw-- the kids were very well behaved, considerate, and asked thoughtful questions. It looks like there was a successful Barnebirkie and there was some enthusiastic spectating.
APUNSC's Holly Brooks finishes runner up in the American Birkie by a fraction of a second. Photo courtesy of Andy Canniff at Swix Sport. Way to go Holly! Also, congrats to Carolyn (my host in Madison, WI) for completing her 30th Birkie.
The wide and pristine Birkie trail could be accessed from the the back door of Julie and Tom's house, where I stayed in Seeley. The Birkie will be an event I will definitely have to include in my racing schedule for an upcoming season. For now, I am home in Alaska where I am re-grouping after spending 5+ weeks on the road. The skiing, weather, and time I've been able to spend with family and friends couldn't be better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regrouping and WINNING the Sven 30K on Sunday. It's Ok to mention you beat a strong field in one of the hardest races in Anchorage and "chicked" a few boys and fast Masters in the process.

skatie ronski said...

Thanks Anon. Yes, it was a great race for me-- probably one of my best distance races ever. And certainly the fastest 30k I've covered on a course like that one.

A Sven post coming soon-- once I can find a picture and/or results to go with it!