Thursday, February 5, 2009

Supertour Races at Telemark Resort

Last week's Supertour races featured a 1.2k sprint, a short distance classic, and a distance skate race.
Katie Ronsse(USA), Nicole Deyong(USA), Martina Stursova (CZE), Christina Groulx (CAN) in the semi-final.

The sprint was on one of the most excruciating courses I have done so far. We made a sustained climb up part of Telemark mountain, swept down for a hairpin turn, went up a toilsome climb to the high point of the course, rocketed down, and went over a steep bump before the finishing stretch. This race felt more like a V02max interval rather than a short "sprint", but grueling sprint courses seem to be the trend in World Cup races these days too.
Katie Ronsse (#2), Kristina Trygstad-Saari (#1), Kristina Strandberg (#3) on the ladies podium.

Trygstad was definitely the strongest lady of the day. She dominated the prelim and lead most of the final. I hung on for dear life until the high point in the climb, and then slung-shot around on the last long downhill after sitting in the draft; but in the lunge for the line she got me, along with the $900 in prize money. A well deserved win for Trygstad! The $425 for 2nd was still an exciting award for me, since it marked my first time winning prize money that I was allowed to accept and it is going to buy me A LOT of oatmeal! Colin Rodgers (#2), Leif Zimmerman (#1), Garrott Kuzzy (#3) on the men's podium.

The classic course was held old World Cup courses that were designed before skate skiing was invented-- which meant numerous steep herringbone hills and several narrow winding downhills.

The highlight of the races for me personally was NOT getting 2nd in the sprint as an onlooker might predict, but rather finishing THIRD in the Saturday's 5k Classic race! I have struggled so much with my distance racing in the past 4 years, so to make the podium in a Supertour distance race was a welcomed surprise. Men's and women's classic results can be found HERE.

Also, a HUGE thanks to Brian Fish and the CXC waxing team for assisting me with waxing. To have a rival team offer to help me while my coaches are unable to be here speaks of the character of CXC. Finding the perfect wax is a time consuming and secretive thing and without the help of CXC, I wouldn't have had a top coat. I could've easily been floundering in a assortment of kick wax where my "secret" would have been to pick the prettiest color (...joke)!
The men's mass start pack-- thanks to Tom Dunaway for the great photos.

The distance Supertour races were also collegiate races and Junior Olympic qualifying races for the central region, which meant there was a chaotic stampede of hundreds of skiers to get to the finish line as fast as possible. There were skis and poles flying in all directions at times...pretty sweet! Men's and women's skate results can be found HERE.

4 comments:

Not Specified said...

Way to go on your distance race Katie! I'm glad to see you are feeling some successes after all that training up here. How are you "settling in" to the traveling and racing routine? Being carted around the country with the sole objective to hammer in a new place every week sounds like a pretty slick gig to me..

skatie ronski said...

Patricio,
Thanks! Yeah, I'm feeling pretty lucky. I've been able to spend time with so many incredible people and ski on new trails in some wonderful places. You should come join us... sprints in Madison this weekend!

Clint Helander said...

Congrats KT! I'm stoked to see you are doing well and skiing hard!

Keep it up and up and up to the top!!

Anna Barnwell said...

Yay katie, you are so awesome i am so proud of you!!! good job in the distance race, that sounds like a huge accomplishment. Personally, I liked the Vasloppet pic the best with the cute scando mittens featured. hehe. You are amazing. I am so glad you are having fun! keep ROCKING the trails. much much love from AK.