Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Commercial Fishing with the Libbys

My entire summer was incredible, although the extended weekend I spent in Bristol Bay stands out as the absolute highlight. I realize this post is out-dated and not skiing related, but the experience was too incredible not to share with family and friends. The Libby's greeted me in the rustic western city of Dillingham, AK and we made our way down to Ekuk beach. I was soaking up being back in rural Alaska and could not wait to check out the Nushagak fishing scene. Here's Landon Libby serving as captain on "The Big Dipper". I got to be a guest aboard Justin's boat, "The Bonzai".

When I heard comments like, "Jus started picking fish when he learned how to walk" and "they were 11 and 13 when they began working as full-time crew members on their Dad's boat" it made me realize that becoming an experienced fisherman is like any other pursuit when it comes to developing toward a world-class level. These guys made their debut in big-time salmon scene when they started the Libby Brothers Co. while in college. The company has supplied fresh, wild Alaskan salmon to high-end restaurants and markets from New York to Alaska but is on hiatus right now as the boys finish dental school. The Justin-Josh-Chris triad reelin' in the reds. These guys are a fish-catching-machine. They've worked as a team for 7 years, so they have their technique and efficiency dialed.

Fishing is a passion and a way of life in the summers for the Libby family. They have a ton of history in this area. Justin's grandpa was a physician in Dillingham and delivered the boys during the height of the fishing season. Fishing is "in my blood" Justin explained. The boys have never missed a summer in Bristol Bay and I doubt they ever will.
Here the boats are lined up and ready to drop off their fish at the processing plant. The Libbys have a network of friends that communicate via radio help each other find and catch as many fish as possible. They also help each other out if someone's in trouble.
Pam and Jim with their hands full after pulling the set-net onto the beach. I have a lot of respect for the fish I see in the store after witnessing how much HARD WORK is involved in commercial fishing! In the off-season Jim and Pam run Dillingham Dental which keeps the people of Dillingham and the surrounding rural communities smiling. The fisherman and fisherwomen work around the clock by the flow of the 6-hour tide cycles and sleep about half as much as I do.Of course they still manage to make time to play on occasion. Here's Justin sneaking in a back-flip plunge while the nets were out on an atypical blue-bird day. I got to experience the calm side of Bristol Bay, although the weather patterns can move in quickly and the crew has to be prepared to navigate and work in storms, fog, and nauseating rough waters. Once the fishing period closes, sacks of fish are weighed and dropped off at the processing plant. A crew's salary is determined by how many pounds they bring in as well as the price of fish. It's a high risk, high reward sort of game. It's a family tradition that everyone stops working and gets together to enjoy each others company on Saturdays. The tight-knit fishing community on Ekuk was extraordinarily friendly and welcomed me in their festivities when I was visiting. Here's a group of us outside the cannery church on Saturday morning. The guys getting a massive bonfire started prior to our picnic. The homemade steam bath which is the method of showering on the beach. Rain water is collected for consumption. You can see "Mount Amuq" also known as "Tit Top" in the distance. I happen to be familiar with the Yup'ik word "Amuq" because that was my first word as a baby. I thought it just meant "milk" but now know it also means "boob". Now how many people can claim that their first word was "boob"? Jus and I three-wheeling along the beach. I thought I was in heaven. The trip couldn't have been any better and I hope to make it back again next year!

I realize this post had nothing to do with training... but this blissful escapade refreshed and fueled me so that I could approach my daily training routine with enthusiasm and focus. Plus, my freezer is now full of salmon which is also literally fueling my exorbitant amount of training!

2 comments:

Sean Sullivan said...

Nice story. How cold was that water?

skatie ronski said...

Thanks Sean. Good question. All I know is that the air temperature was unusually hot for AK --probably high 70s or even 80degF-- but the water was still a refreshing shock to my system.

Does anyone reading this happen to know the summer water temperature in Bristol Bay? Somewhere in the low 50s would be my guess.